Is it safe to have anal sex 13 years after total colectomy with reattached small intestine and a J pouch?

General Surgeon
is it safe to have anal sex after i have had a total colectomy with reattached small intestine and a J pouch? i am 57 the surgery was 13 years ago.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 22 minutes later

Individuals indulging in anal sex are at risk for contracting sexually transmitted diseases, so safe sex practices are advised.

Anal sex is considered a high-risk sexual practice in both the partners, and unprotected anal sex is the riskiest of all forms of sexual intercourse, due to the vulnerability of the rectum and anal sphincter tissues.

As you have been operated for ulcerative colitis, with removal of whole colon .

Now ileum is attached at the anal sphincter.

Even if your surgery has been done 13 years back, still anal sex can predispose to infection or trauma to anal sphincter & ileum or even the site of anastomosis .

So post total colectomy anal sex is not completely safe, even with safe practice.

Forceful anal sex must be avoided after anal surgery ( post colectomy).

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Thanks and regards,

Follow-up: Is it safe to have anal sex 13 years after total colectomy with reattached small intestine and a J pouch? 16 minutes later
i do not have an anastomosis... that makes no sense in my case. i have a J pouch with the small intestine attached to anus. they took out a lot of the rectum and left some. is anal sex possible is my question .. i am not stupid about being safe for infections .. is it even safe to do? physically i mean ... i read that the small instestine cannot expand so therefore i wonder .. would anal sex do damage to me? i am not talking about infections .. lets just talk about the act itself and know that i am aware of infections and the precautions to take. can i have anal sex?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

In medical science removal of any piece of intestine followed by attaching two end is known as resection & anastomosis. Here resection mean removing a piece of gut and anastomosis means attaching or suturing to cut end to ensure continuity.

As in your case whole colon has been removed & ileum has been stitched to anus after converting it in to J pouch ,so J pouch can hold fecal matter for longer duration.

It can be done in many form ,at any level of intestine.J pouch is a shape given to lower end of ileum.

Anal sex can definitely be performed .

Small intestine can dilate sufficiently to accommodate penis .

But complete safety can not be assured even after taking precaution for infection .

Hope I have answered your query.