Is it safe to have an abortion being 3 months pregnant with muliple uterine fabroids?

im 40 years old , 3 month pregnant and have multiple utirine fabroids 7cm, i want to abort the pregnancy can i do this. can i do an abortion , i live in a region where its a taboo so my doctor is not telling me what to do , just sayign that this is a complicated pregnancy and there is a risk of miscarrage or early delivery , but i want to do the abortion now . can i what are the risk if i do.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 45 minutes later

With multiple fibroids the pregnancy is indeed complicated. There is of course a risk of miscarriage and pre term delivery. However, in my opinion, it wouldn't be advisable to undergo an abortion after 12 weeks of gestation.

In some countries, its banned and not legal to have abortions after 12 weeks. Medically speaking, abortion in the second trimester is very risky and may be harmful to your health. There is a risk of bleeding, uterine perforation, shock etc. Depending on which part of the world you are in, the decision you make has to be supported by the legal system.

An attempt at abortion could have been made earlier in the 1st trimester but now, the pregnancy is pretty advanced and could cause more harm than good.

I suggest you consult your doctor again and put forward your concerns.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Follow-up: Is it safe to have an abortion being 3 months pregnant with muliple uterine fabroids? 1 hour later
thank you doctor, i was going to germany to do it , to be spasific , do the uterine fabroids make the abortion surgery imposible or risky at this stage,
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 29 minutes later

Thanks again.

The surgery will be risky for 2 reasons.
1. The fibroids may cause excessive bleeding.
2. The size of uterus is very big and its friable at this stage of pregnancy.

Hence the chances of complications are more.

I'm not sure if the legal system in Germany allows medical termination of pregnancy after 12 weeks. You will have to consult specialist there for the accurate information.

Hope my answer is informative and useful

Wish you good health