Is it safe to have accidentally swallowed quarter coin?
User rating for this question
A 32 year old female does not know if she swallowed a U.S. quarter coin or not. She will NOT go to the doctor. It has been 5 days with no symptoms and no problems. She feels good and does NOT want to go to a doctor. How do we know if she will be okay? What should we do and what are the possible symptoms?
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most often it gets passed out in stools Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query If she has swallowed the coin and after that she is breathing well and having a good appetite then it is nothing to worry about, the quarter will get passed out in stools eventually. Foreign body posses a risk only if it gets stuck in the food pipe or throat. Here are my suggestions to you 1. Seek immediate help if she complains of pain abdomen or vomiting 2. Ask her to look out for the quarter in her stools ( most likely it has already passed out since it been 5 days) 3. Possibilities of pain during defecation can occur when she is trying to pass stools which might have the coin in it. 4. Ask her to watch out for bleeding while passing motion I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me Regards