Is it safe to have Zeet Expectorant cough syrup being 6 weeks pregnant?

Is It Safe to have Cough Syrup. "Zeet Expectorant " . Salts are (Ammonium Cloride,Bromhexine Hydrochloride, Guaiphenesin, & Diphenhydramine hydrochloride) in 6 week of pregnancy or Suggest me what should i take , I'm Having High Cough.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 55 minutes later

Before answering your question, i would like to reaffirm the importance of taking the advice of a medical professional, before taking any prescription medication, and under supervision. In most cases, unsupervised use of medications might be harmful. In other cases, though it may not be harmful, they might not be helpful either.

The composition of the syrup mentioned is completely safe during pregnancy. The syrup contains a expectorant (bromhexine) , a antihistamine ( diphenhydramine) and Ammonium chloride (which possesses a secretomotor activity and stimulates the respiratory tract epithelial cilia movement and facilitates expectoration).

Before the use of any cough syrup, it is important to know what exactly are your symptoms.

Expectorants - are syrups which help to liquefy the sputum, which is hard to cough out.

In case of Dry cough, which is not producing any sputum, syrups containing antitussive medications ( Dextromethorphan) are very helpful to reduce the symptoms.

Dry cough which can also be seen in conditions like asthma ( which can be precipitated by pregnancy in some women) need to be treated with bronchodilators and not with expectorants (which you are using). Asthma is produced due to narrowing of the respiratory tract and bronchodilators help by relaxing the muscles of the respiratory tract thereby relieving the cough.

In addition, presence of symptoms including fever, the possibility of infection has to be ruled out and it has to be treated with appropriate antibiotics.

I can help you more, if you can provide additional information regarding your current symptoms including duration of symptoms, prior history of asthma, any recent history of infections, etc.

I shall give my final opinion, once additional details are provided.

Follow-up: Is it safe to have Zeet Expectorant cough syrup being 6 weeks pregnant? 18 minutes later
hi my wife is having dry cough fits after several intervals, so wt should she take,whether to continue wt zeet or something else
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 38 minutes later

Your wife's cough appears to be due to spasmodic bronchoconstriction which could be a result of onset of asthma during pregnancy.

Before treatment is initiated with inhalers or bronchodilators , it is absolutely necessary for the diagnosis to be confirmed by a physical examination.

Presence of wheezes on examination and reduced airway outflow - will confirm the diagnosis; and treatment with inhaled bronchodilators might be the treatment required in such a situation.

In case, your wife is just having dry cough, with no wheezing or other findings , she might be having bronchitis, which can be treated with supportive medications, cough lozenges and proper hydration. In such cases of dry cough expectorants such as Zeet syrup, might not be effective.

She might be benefited with medications containing anti-tussive medications (Dextromethorphan) which reduce the severity of cough.

In case the symptoms do not subside, consulting a physician for examination, tests for proper evaluation and treatment of the underlying condition might help very important.

I hope this helps.

I shall be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.