Is it safe to go on trips when suffering from temporal arteritis?

I am 67. I've been recently diagnosed with temporal arteritis, although my biopsy was negative. SED rate was 90. Had headaches, etc., scalp sensitivity. Most symptons subsided with prednisone, about 2 months ago. Started at 60 mg, went down to 40. SED went down to 10. Then 20mg, but SED went up to 43. Then back to 40mg, and SED rate went to 13. So it seems that the prednisone is working. The only noticable symptoms are muscle ache when I walk the stairs, and a lot of fatigue when I'm up and about during the day. I work, but it helps to lie down for a half hour or so in the afternoon. We have a trip planned to Africa in 3 months (sizeable payment due in a week). I'm willing to go and take it easy -- resting during the day when needed, but I don't want to be in a position of being sick in bed and ruining the vacation . Given the experience with prednisone so far, and I expect to be on it beyond the trip, do you think I'm ok taking the trip?
Posted Fri, 7 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 3 hours later
Brief Answer: ok for trip Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. I am Dr Alok , pleased to answer your health related queries here. For temporal arteritis, you can live normal life and go for a trip with your medications with prescribed dose. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate. Dr Alok