Is it safe to go for lymph node sampling or lymph node removal?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
Re gyn oncology

How cd I be sure that removing lymph nodes is the right thing to do or whether sampling is better. Not sure it's up to me. Just want to be more knowledgeable re this. Surgery scheduled in 1 week
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 2 hours later

Sampling the lymph nodes is advised in the treatment of endometrial cancer by FIGO (International federation of obstetrics and gynecology).

However many gynec-oncologists do lymph node dissection (elaborate procedure to remove lymphatic tissue) especially if lymph nodes are enlarged.

If the lymph nodes are not enlarged both procedures are equally effective.

It is left to the decision of the treating gynec-oncologist to do the necessary procedure.

Hope I answered your query.

Good luck.
Follow-up: Is it safe to go for lymph node sampling or lymph node removal? 19 minutes later
Is there anything that I can do to avoid the potential of lymph edema ? Thanks you for your response.
Lower limb lymph edema may occur after pelvic lymph node dissection.
It is not possible to avoid it. But this edema is not severe (There are other lymphatics draining lymph from lower limbs).

Edema can be minimized by wearing stockings and limb elevation intermittently for about 10 minutes.

With warm regards.