Is it safe to give omnacortil tablet to a child with croup?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Can i give a Tab. Omnacortil (Prednisolone) for a child with croup (Has harsh sound, become more rominent when crying ). Her weight is 10 kg. So that she may get some releif. i doubts it is Croup?
Posted Sun, 27 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Omnacortil is a steroid which is to be strictly taken on prescription of a doctor .
It can have many sideffects especially in children.
Considering your child has been prescribed antibiotics I assume she has a lower cough has worsened then kindly get her reevaluated do that her doctor might start necessary antitussives or cough expectorants and if required nebulisation with bronchodilator .
Many a times steroids can suppress the symptoms temporarily but might flare up or worsen an underlying bacterial infection.
Hence it would not be advisable to self Medicare.
Try to give her steam inhalations thrice daily and a zinc supplement ( 20 mg daily of zinconia etc) for faster recovery.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.