Is it safe to give methylprednisolone tablets to a patient having strep throat?

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Would you prescribe methylprednisolone tablets to someone with strep throat ?
I went to the Er on tues and they said I had strep throat and prescribed me methylprednisolone 4mg tablets 21 over 6 days . And gave me a very painful steriod shot in my back . Did they do the right thing ? I never did see a doctor the whole time, it was just te nurses in the Er .
Posted Fri, 16 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 5 hours later
Thanks for writing to us

I have never prescribed methylprednisolone tablets for Strep sore throat. Because it is a steroid and steroid suppresses the immune system. It reduces the body's ability to fight against infection.As for its use in sore throat, I have never read or heard about.

Are there some other problems (like breathing difficulty, wheezy breathing) which you are suffering from? Some physician uses methylprednisolone in asthma but its role even in asthma is dubious. Its not understandable at all why they have given steroid injection and tablets instead of antibiotics.
You could have asked why they have used the steroid in strep throat.

My aim is not to make you anxious, but as their prescription is not right and I doubt their diagnosis too.To diagnose a strep throat, a throat swab and ASO titre is needed.

It would be better if can mention your clinical symptoms and associated problems if any.

So I would suggest you not to take methylprednisolone tablets and consult a doctor for proper clinical evaluation and management.

I hope this answers your query
I will be happy to answer your further query if any
Wish you good health