Is it safe to give farex to a 13 year child?

Question
I have a 13week old son who I want to give some farex to and not sure if I am doing the right thing?
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query and congratulations on baby boy.

Normally it is strongly advisable that the baby should be exclusively breast feed till 6 months of age.

In case there are some issues like quantity of breast milk is not enough or some maternal conditions do not permit feeding baby, then only any form of top feeding is advocated.

Baby growing well, sleeping after feeds indicates adequacy of mother’s milk and such cases there is no need to give anything till 6 months of age.

I hope this helps.

Dr.Pragnesh

Follow-up: Is it safe to give farex to a 13 year child? 2 hours later
Thanks for your reply.
My son is formula fed and has been since birth. The reason I am contemplating Farax is because he does not sleep for long periods particularly in the day which makes him very overtired and irritable and he also suffers from reflux. It is like he is not 100% satisfied. The packaging says on some 4 months so not sure why I would need to wait till 6. What are implications if he was to have a small amount now or if I was to wait till 4 months?
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 34 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

As he is on formula feed since birth you can give him other top feeds like farex.

Normally all the formulas are age specific means you have to choose as per his age. The age is defined keeping in mind his digestive capacity and nutritive requirement.

Any Farex is normally not recommended for infants below 4 months.The ranges starts from 4 months plus.

We doctors always are not of the opinion of starting top feed till 6 months, but in your case your child is already formula so this is out of question.

Please let him complete 4 months.

I hope this clarifies your concern.

Dr.Pragnesh