Is it safe to give dexorange syrup on daily basis to a child?

can I give my 13 year old daughter Dexorange syrup on a daily basis because a doctor said she might be slightly anemic
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 30 minutes later

I will try to answer your question to the best of my knowledge.

Dexorange in a very commonly prescribed medicine in case of iron deficiency anaemia. It contains Iron, Folic Acid and Vit B12.

Ideally, before starting any iron supplement, it is advised to do a serum Haemoglobin and Ferritin examination. This gives an index about the dosage and duration of therapy required. It also helps in follow-ups to ascertain whether haemoglobin levels are getting corrected or not.

In a 13 years old female, iron deficiency anaemia may occur after the onset of menstural cycles. So I would advice you to do a blood test for the above, which is very simple, and then start her on the supplement. Although side effects are rare, there are a few like staining of teeth, constipation/ diarrhea on long term use. You can avoid that by placing it on the tongue and not letting it touch the teeth. Constipation/diarrhea is avoided by using the syrup intermittently (e.g. 1-2 months) i.e. only for the required time needed to correct haemoglobin levels and not long.

Hope, I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any other query.

Wish your daughter good health!
Dr.Tanushree Biswas.
Follow-up: Is it safe to give dexorange syrup on daily basis to a child? 1 hour later
since she is so scared of blood tests and seems otherwise healthy could you suggest a general multivitamin with iron in it that can be taken on a long-term basis.
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 2 hours later

Thanks for following up.

You can give her Dexorange syrup. It’s fine, unless contraindicated.

Any syrup, with containing iron should be used for 1-2 months only unless there is a proven deficiency requiring a longer time to correct. She can repeat the course again every 6 months. Syrup Zincovit (no iron contains here) is a good multivitamin and multi mineral supplement and can be used in between for 1- 2 months.

Please encourage her to have iron XXXXXXX food like dark leafy vegetables (spinach), dry fruits, beans, pulses, jaggery, chick peas, soy beans, eggs, poultry etc.

Hope, I have solved your query. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Take care and good luck.