Is it safe to give celestemine syryp to a 6 month old?

Hi, is it safe to give a six month old baby celestemine syryp and if so how much ? Thanks
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

From the history I make out that you son is having a running nose for which you want to give him Celestamine. Celestamine is a combination drug containing betamethasone (a steroid) and dexchlorpheniramine maleate (an anti-histamine) which is given in allergies. I would not recommend that a drug containing steroid be given to an infant for throat and chest which is very common. One hears transmitted sounds in the chest from a bad throat.

You can give him a plain cough syrup 1.5-2 ml. three to four times a day along with steam inhalation. In case there is no improvement or the infection has been persisting for more than 3-4 days then it is better to get him examined by a doctor who may consider adding an antibiotic.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts about the case.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.