Is it safe to give Montair Granules for my infant suffering from cough and cold?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Hi Doctor, My son is 1 month now. He was suffering from Cough and Cold. His chest is clear now as per the doctor.He is being prescribed "Montair Granules 4mg, Half XXXXXXX Twice a Day". So that it does not come back.I want to know how safe it is and what are the side effects.
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Montair is not suggested in month age. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. Montair contains montelukast sodium and usually its safety has not been established in infants below the age of 6 months. This (montair) is usually suggested in children above 6 months who are having allergic rhinitis, frequent cough with wheezing in the lungs to prevent such frequent episodes of cold and cough. For infrequent episodes of cold and cough in infants, I usually suggest oral mucolytic drops for cough and antihistaminic drops for cold. The side effects are usually uncommon and they are headache, dizziness, rash, stomach pain, and flu like symptoms. Therefore I suggest you to consult the pediatrician for modification in the medication for cough and cold. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.

Follow-up: Is it safe to give Montair Granules for my infant suffering from cough and cold? 24 minutes later
He was taking 2 medicines for last one week as prescribed 1) Ascoryl LS + ( Originally LS was prescribed but due to unavailability LS+ was being given ) 2) Sinarest Drops Which are now stopped. So can you please name the exact Medicine for the following as mentioned by you 1) mucolytic drops for cough 2) antihistaminic drops for cold.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 28 minutes later
Brief Answer: Give with prescription by a pediatrician. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for getting back. Mucolytic cough drops contain Ambroxol such as Mucolite or Ambrodil drops. Oral antihistamine drops usually contain phenylephrine and chlorpheniramine such as Sinarest-AF drops or Tmnic drops. These medications are prescribed drugs and usually prescribed after examining the child. Therefore I advise you to consult the pediatrician for follow up for examination and for prescription of the medication. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.