Is it safe to give Augpen-DS for toddlers?

Hi, My kid is 19 months old. He suffers from cold/ cough and fever around every 2 month. This time it started with dry cough turning to high fever (103). Our regular pediatrician suggested Augpen-DS, LCZ-Xp and Mefkind-Forte.. However the next day (after two dose of Augpen night and next day), he fell unconscious, with high fever in head portion while palms and feet were normal... we rushed to hospital and the doctor said its was due to breathlessness since the throat has swollen due to infection (Pharyngitis) .. he administered Nebulizer Duolin, Nasivion and prescribed Maxtra-P, Mefkind Forte. Then he said not to give Augpen-DS to kid. We are now confused, if we should give Augpen-DS which is antibiotic.. please help.. stuck between two doctors..
Posted Fri, 21 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: I would go for second doctor's prescription Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX It seems that your child has a viral infection. In a viral infection antibiotics are ineffective. Thus I will not recommend antibiotics like Augpen-DS. You need to be careful when giving your baby any medicines. Do not give medicines unnecessarily. Now I would advise a few things about the second doctor's prescription. Nebulizer duolin needs to be taken only if the baby is having difficulty in breathing. Nasivion cannot be taken for more than 7 days in a row and should be given only if he has XXXXXXX blockage. Maxtra-P has antiallergic and fever medicines. It should be given if the child has secretions from nose and throat and also has fever. Mefkind forte also has medicines for fever. Thus you may give your baby either maxtra-P or mefkind forte. I hope you have understood the role of medicines for your child's condition. Take steps to ensure that the baby's temperature does not go higher than 100. Hope it helps. Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Is it safe to give Augpen-DS for toddlers? 14 hours later
thnks doc, but wht about pharyngitis which second doc said and URI which second doc said
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Immunity helps Detailed Answer: Hi again The unconsciousness may have happened due to breathlessness as told by second doctor. Another reason could be due to high fever (febrile seizures). If it was due to fever then it will not occur again if fever is controlled. Now pharyngitis is mostly caused by a virus and sometimes by a bacteria. URI is upper respiratory infection (which also includes pharyngitis). These both are more commonly caused by viruses. If you suspect bacteria, then go for throat swab or sputum culture and then take antibiotics accordingly. Now the antibiotic did not have much effect on the condition of the baby, so it seems that infection is viral in nature. Viruses take their time to get better. He should recover within 10 days. Body's immunity helps in the recovery. You can give the medicines suggested by the second doctor as per the symptoms present. If the baby is having difficulty breathing, please give nebulizer. It will help in reducing the inflammation in the pharynx and will help with better breathing. Hope I have cleared your doubt. Let me know if you have another doubt. Regards Dr Vaishalee