Is it safe to get vaccinated for hepatitis A again if I have already had it before?

Hello. I just got the shot for the hepatitis A vaccine but i think i may have also got the vaccine a few years ago. Would it be bad if i had accidently gotten the vaccine for a second time?suppose i currently had hepatitis A and i got the vaccine for hepatitis A while having it. Would this cause any negative effects?
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

The vaccines are composed of inactivated viruses. Even if you get yourself vaccinated while you are infected, it will not cause you any harm.

If you have got the vaccine for the second time, there is no need to worry. It will only help in enhancing your immunity further.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Is it safe to get vaccinated for hepatitis A again if I have already had it before? 23 minutes later
Dear Dr. Just one final question. I found on the internet that "There are two types of vaccines: one type contains inactivated Hepatitis A virus, the other contains a live but attenuated virus." If I had gotten the vaccine with an attenuated virus would it still not matter if I had gotten it twice or I was infected currently? I do not have any symptoms, I am just making sure.
Infected currently with hepatitis A, I mean (however I do not believe I am infected).
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

The live attenuated vaccines are also not virulent and cannot cause a disease unless the immunity of the person is extremely compromised like in HIV infected or cancer patients.

Just relax. It is not going to affect you adversely even you are suffering from an active infection now.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.