Is it safe to get pregnant after surgery of spine at L5-S1?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi dr i had an surgery of l5 s1 3 years ago . I am 39 yrs old and i havé 3 children Before my surgery. I want to have another baby is it safe if i get pregnant. Will i have problem during my pregnancy.i have no pain since 2 yrs now.will i have à normal delivery ? And also i smoke a whole packet of cigerrets à day
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later

It is not unsafe to get pregnant after surgery of spine at L5-S1.

It also depends upon type of spinal surgery had done-

If you had a fusion at L5/S1 - The problems that can occur during pregnancy with back pain involve the sacroiliac joints due to the stresses on the spine being distributed to the SI joint. Normally the SI joint does not have much movement, but during pregnancy, a hormone called relaxin is secreted, causing an increase in mobility of the SI joint. This can result in some pain after pregnancy.

If you had not fusion, and only had discectomies, the pregnancy is not as complicated.

You might have normal delivery. If you had a fusion at L5-S1 then your doctor would recommend a C-section to avoid the stresses on the SI joints and coccyx during the birthing process.

I also advice you to stop smoking before planning of another baby because it has harmful effect. Smoking will be the biggest risk factor to cause disc problems. I suggest you need to quit with the help of a counselor before you plan pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.