Is it safe to fly during pregnancy while on thyroid medicine?

Mar 2016

I am 7 weeks pregnant with history of hashimoto thyroditis and rheumatoid arthritis . My tsh level came back 4.5 today. What I am really concerned about it if it is safe to fly ..My journey is 5 hours . Do my reports put me to graeter risk of miscarriage if I fly?
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: AIR TRAVEL IS SAFE BUT NEED DOCTOR'S CONSULTATION. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Serum TSH level should be less than 3 mIU/L during 1st trimester & throughout the pregnancy period while on thyroid treatment. Your TSH report (4.5 mIU/L) is within upper normal range (3-5.5 mIU/L). Women with higher TSH levels have a greater than three-fold increase in the risk of preterm delivery or miscarriage. Kindly, consult with your doctor for dose adjustment and proper treatment. In this case, air travel (flight) is quite safe for your journey but each airline has a different regulation for pregnant fliers. It is considered safe up to 32-36 weeks of pregnancy for single baby. Short period air travel (3-5 hrs) is perfect for you. However, you must consult with your doctor for permission after overall check up to rule out hypertension, high altitude problem, Venous Thrombosis, Previous H/O pregnancy loss or miscarriage, anemia etc. Hope, I have answered your query with my experience. Let me know, if you need any clarification. Wish your good health and successful motherhood. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW