Is it safe to eat probiotic yogurt while breastfeeding?

Pediatrician
Question
Is it safe to eat probiotic yogurt while breastfeeding? I am breastfeeding my 5 week old, and ate a bag of probiotic yogurt covered pretzel bites. Is this safe for baby?
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Emmette Clark 11 minutes later

This is absolutely safe and presents no problems for your breastfeeding baby. Virtually anything you eat presents no problems for your baby as once absorbed they don't really affect the composition of your milk. These foods and supplements are great for women in particular but an anyone who has taken antibiotics also to help restore the normal bacteria in the bowel that help us digest foods.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will be happy to assist you.

Follow-up: Is it safe to eat probiotic yogurt while breastfeeding? 6 hours later
Quick question not on the subject; is white vinegar safe during breastfeeding as well? My podiatrist suggest a white vinegar bath for my toes which have a fungal infection. Wanting to make sure if absorbed, if it will be safe for baby.

Answered by Dr. Emmette Clark 6 minutes later
It will not cause any problems and is safe.