Is it safe to drink semen a few days old?

My long-distance boyfriend sends me his semen through the mail. By the time it reaches me, it has been sitting around for several days. Does semen "go bad" (stale) in these circumstances? Is it safe for me to drink it? No lectures about STD's please. I know and trust this man. I am a 52 year-old woman.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

Important points of your query:
· Strong affection for boyfriend

· Desire to drink few days old semen and same time concern related to health

Semen is the mixture of fluids from the seminal vesicles, the prostate, and the bulbourethral glands.

The seminal vesicles produce a yellowish viscous fluid XXXXXXX in fructose and other substances that makes up about 70% of human semen.

The prostatic secretion is a whitish fluid containing proteolytic enzymes, citric acid, acid phosphatase and lipids.

The bulbourethral glands secrete a clear secretion into the lumen of the urethra to lubricate it.

In brief semen contains sugar (fructose), Protein (enzymes) and lipids (phospholipids). If semen is not preserved in hygienic and aseptic condition, it is a very good culture media for bacteria. Even in one day any bacteria can grow thousands folds in semen. As the time pass taste of semen also become bad because of continuous destruction of its constituents.

So consumption of old posses health risk in form of infection apart from risk of development of aversion for semen because of bad taste.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you Good Health.