Is it safe to drink alcohol while taking metoprolol for hypertension?

dear doctor, i'm taking metoprolol 25mg once daily for hypertension. is it ok for me to drink beer occasionally while i am on metoprolol. i am 26 yr old with no other medical problems except mild hypertension.
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: Should be avoided Detailed Answer: Dear Friend Thanks for writing to us. You are 26 years old , so it's important to rule out secondary causes of hypertension at this age like : 1.Renal Artery Stenosis and other kidney Problems 2.Conn's syndrome 3.Vasculitis 4.Pheochromocytoma. I suppose , your doctor must have done the work up. If nothing has been found as the cause of hypertension then occasional consumption of beer in limited doses is permissible. Excessive consumption of beer and alcohol will aggravate your blood pressure. Also , it will derange your lipid profile , leading to increase risk of cardio-vascular problems , and your heart is already under stress because of Hypertension. If you are taking a metoprolol you should avoid ­alcohol. This is because it can enhance the blood pressure-lowering effects of your medicine and could lower your blood pressure too much I hope i am able to solve your query , still if you have any query , ask me. Stay Healthy