Is it safe to discontinue 'ASA 50 and TG 5" taken for high cholestrol?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Doctor, My wife is now 63 years. She has type II diabetes in the year 2004 and is well under control so far.During the year 2006 she has a little bit of high in cholestrol level 295 and triglycerides 170. So my phisician prescribed ASA 50 mg to be taken once during night and TG tor 5 mg with same dosage. She is continously taking them till now. Now her lipid profile is as under Cholestrol 120, tryglycerides 118, LDL 64, VLDL 18, HB 13.1. and hb A1c 6.4. She has got Hypothyroidsm in 2011 whenTSH was 4.7 and now as on date TSH 2.9.She is taking Thyronorm 25 mg daily. I do not know whether she was rightly prescribed Asa 50 and TG Tor 5 mg in the year 2006 by my doctor. Since her lipid profile is well under normal, can she stop taking ASA 50 and TGtor 5 mg/.Will there be any harm if stopped? Will there be any harm if she continues life long? kindly advise
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: TG 5 is for lowering cholesterol level so stop it Detailed Answer: Hello, TG 5 is for lowering cholesterol level. It can be stopped after discussing with her treating doctor as her levels are normal now. It will not have any side effect if you stop it. ASA 50 is to avoid blood clot formation. Since she is 63 years now, she can continue it It can be taken life long. Check her thyroid level now and accordingly dose can be changed. Continue your diabetic diet . Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.