Is it safe to consume whisky while taking insulin for diabetes?

My father has 200 diabetes and insulin 16 units every night. He has been adviced that he can drink whisky upto 90 ml in a week. Is it right?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 50 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, but better to avoid Detailed Answer: Hi, welcome to our site. I am Dr Saumya Mittal. Read your query. That is a very significant question and i appreciate your problem. I will try my best to answer your query By your query I am assuming that 200 diabetes means that his fasting blood sugar is 200 and he is taking just 16 units of insulin at night. I would say the sugars are not well controlled, and a better control of sugar is definitely required. For which you need to tell me exactly what kind of insulin he is taking, when and what time and how. I would also suggest that you get a blood lipid profile and an HbA1c tested. One of the test is for cholesterol and triglyceride levels. The other will tell us about the chronic control of the diabetes. I would suggest that you check the sugars more frequently, sometimes before breakfast, sometimes before lunch and sometimes before dinner. You could use a glucometer for this. Maintain a record of this and upload a copy of this with your query review. So that was about the diabetes control. As for alcohol. The dictum says that the patient of diabetes can have all types of foods but in moderation. Having said that, i would not suggest alcohol to your father. For several reasons- 1, as already stated, his sugars are not well controlled. even moderate amount of alcohol will get it worse 2, the alcohol is absorbed quickly in the body. Therefore there is a sudden rise in the levels of sugars after a drink. It has been medically proven that such excursions are bad for health. And personally, i would wish my patient would use that many calorie intake on some nutritious food or sweets that they like. 3, diabetics are usually high on lipids. Alcohol is just going to lift the levels higher. So, yes your doctor may be right, that alcohol can be had; as of now, I will not suggest it to any of my patients at the current control of sugars in your dad. I hope this helps you. Inform the reports mentioned above so i can be of help further. Best of luck. I have given you the answer to the maximum considering the information provided. The results of the tests could further enhance my answer to you. Please do understand that some details could be extracted from a detailed history and examination. Looking forward to your return query with the details asked so that I can help you further. (If the answer has helped you, please indicate this)