Is it safe to consume fresh fruit juice with high ALT and AST levels?

Dear Doctor, Very recently I was prescribed medicine called HEPTRAL and diet as my liver GGT SHOWED AS HIGH AS 378 and ALT and AST levels where two times higher as of a normal. I was consulted by the doctor than Kiwi and other fruits will do me good also alongside my diet, however another doctor told me the very opposite. Usually i love drinking pineapple fresh juice,lemon juice,aplle juice and others almost daily as i am big fan of freshly squeezed fruit juices. Could you tell me is it good for my liver and is it good for my health in general as some people speculate that freshly squeezed fruit juices contain lots of sugar. i consume them usually after meal and is it right thing to do? may i also ask you regarding white tea, green tea and herbal teas. i am big fan of herbal and green teas and is it good for my liver and how good is its generally and what is the recommended daily input? and finally: my doctor told me to eat chocolate and feel free as it does not damage my liver. how true is that? thank you in advance with regards XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Following answers to your queries... Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Having fresh fruits and vegetables, including fresh squeezed fruit juices are an excellent and healthy choice to choose. If you are a diabetic and having issues with imbalanced blood sugar, then, you should restrict the juice intake. With regards to teas, including white/green tea, it is true that their antioxidant properties are beneficial for the well being of the body and liver too. However, attention is recalled not to exceed the daily intake as on contrary, they will cause undesiderable effects. Regarding the high levels of transaminases, there are many causes triggering increased levels including: - drinking alcohol - fatty liver (as you say you are obese) as long as the analysis of virus were shown negative. Therefore, you should not use alcohol and try to keep healthy and lose weight to improve the liver function tests. All the best! Dr.Klerida