Is it safe to combine low dosages of St John's Wort and melatonin?
User rating for this question
is it safe to combine low dosages of St John's Wort and melatonin?
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes you may combine them. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. St Johns Wort is a herbal remedy for depression and it acts through serotonine and 5HT3 system. Melatonine is a sleep regulator as well as efficacy as an antidepressant and it acts through melatonine system. As these two treating elements have different mechanism of action they can be taken together. Many patients come to my clinic with similar query. I advice them not to use St Johns Wort with drugs like escitalopram or fluoxetine or venlafaxine as it increases the risk of serotonine syndrome. But with melatonin it should be safe. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
People also viewed
- Visceralgine for pregnant women
- Spasm of uterus while pregnant
- Is melatonin safe during a concussion
- Is it safe to take melatonin with nyquil
- Skunk smell and pregnant
- Does cephalexin affect the pop pill
- Vivact capsules side affects
- Melatonin combined with crystal meth
- Is melatonin safe for a teenager
- Do kalms tablets affect cerazette
- Melatonin safe with concussion
- Can cipralex affect your monthly cycle
- Became pregnant using shatavari
- Strange smells when pregnant
- Can paracetamol affect the pill cilest