Is it safe to breastfeed my 11 month baby if i get a lip augmentation with juvederm?

General Surgeon
Hello I am breastfeeding my 11 months baby I am planing to get a lip augmentation with juvederm ( hyaluronic acid) could I?? Or is it not safe for my baby boy??
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 29 minutes later

Juvederm is FDA approved drug used for feeling wrinkles and augmentation of lips .

It has many side effects & complications.

Side effects (of Juvederm (hyaluronic acid) include temporary redness, pain and tenderness during injections, and swelling and bruising at the injection sites.

In some individuals the more serious side effects do occur , include immune system reactions that result in facial lumps and bumps also called as granulomas.

Troublesome reactions also occur in some patient that are very difficult to treat.

Juvéderm should not be used in patients with severe allergies, particularly those who have allergies to bacterial proteins or history of anaphylaxis, (a life threatening hypersensitivity to some drugs and proteins).

As you are still in the lactating phase ,so it would be better if you wait for weaning .

Juvederm as such may not secreted in the milk ,so there may not be any direct effect ,but it has many side effects ,so it should be used very cautiously in lactating mother..

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.
Follow-up: Is it safe to breastfeed my 11 month baby if i get a lip augmentation with juvederm? 5 hours later
Hello thanks for your response it sure has fulfilled my question, so what do you personally recommend because I already payed and made the appointment because the doctor said it won't be a problem but I want to be 100% safe that it is safe for my little boy thanks for your time I'll appreciate again your response
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 2 hours later
Nice to see you again     

You have made full payment.

Your doctor says it quite safe for your little one.

In my opinion it would be if you can wait till weaning or postpone till weaning.

You can take reappointment after discussion with your doctor.

‘Hope I have answered your query, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”

Follow-up: Is it safe to breastfeed my 11 month baby if i get a lip augmentation with juvederm? 59 minutes later
Hello it's me again.... Well I can't postpone this appointment because I don't live here in the US I'm returning to my country in 3 weeks and I don't want to wait until weaning because I'm planing to give my baby breast milk until he is 2 or 3 years like I did with my firs baby..... The thing is that I will do it but I want your opinion or your knowledge about this because as you said jevederm is not secreted in the milk so what would be the problem? In the clinic where I'm getting the injections also said the doctor that we all produce hyaluronic acid and juvederm is that so is no estrange to the body... Please tell me more about this and if there is no really a risk envolved
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 9 hours later

Nice to see you again.

Juvéderm or hyaluronic acid is one of the newest “inject-able fillers,” used by dermatologists, and cosmetic and plastic surgeons to soften XXXXXXX folds and reduce wrinkles in the faces of patients.

The substance is largely hyaluronic acid, a substance normally found in the skin, muscles, and tendons of mammals.

As you cannot postpone the dates and have made full payment, so there is no alternative except to go ahead with filling and hoping every thing goes well.

Please be vigilant for any side effects and complication and take remedial measures if required .

No doubt it is generally not secreted in milk, but rare allergy reaction can do occur.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery.