Is it possible to remove a anterior or posterior cage from the stomach without opening the back after a failed back surgery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been on opiate theapy drugs since 1999 and have been on almost every different kinds and strength's due to a failed back surgery in the last part of 1998 November I believe. I had a Dr. in St. XXXXXXX that would switch my pain meds about every 2 years. Once I was on hydromorfone #4 6x's a day as needed along with oxicontin 80 mg 2x's a day which worked great is there a better 12 hour drug to take with the hydromorphone? I was asking because the extended release hydromorphone is only available at 1 every day and they don't last 24 hours for me. I am currently taking 60mg morphine er 3x's a day with 30mg morphine IR 6 x's a day and they are not working very good, I have been on that dosage for the last 2 years. Also wanted to see if after all those years is it possible to remove a anterior/ posterior cage from the stomach without opening the back again??? I realize that I would have to have a MRI or whatever and that your answer would not be a guarantee but like to know the chances of having it removed without opening the back again. The surgeon at the last moment droped a piece of bone in one of the holes for the cage and didn't take a extra 15 minutes to suck it out I was on the table 10 hours with the fluid and blood loss he left it in and noted that particular screw didn't go down to the proper depth and proceeded to screw them in. I don't know if that bone ended up lodged against a nerve or not. I finally had to quit working after trying for 6 years while taking pain meds and finally had to admit that I couldn't handle the pain anymore and had to apply for disability at 47 yrs. old. Would love to go back to work! That's the reason I am asking if its remotely possible my last mri was about 1 1/2 yrs ago.
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Oxymorphone can help you. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The pain medications that you are currently taking- Morphine ER and Morphine IR are the most potent pain killers but show tolerance after continuous use for few months. Since you have been taking these regularly, switching these medicines with other alternatives like oxycontin or hydromorphone or oxymorphone might provide you some relief for a short term. But all these are prescription only medicines and you need to consult a pain specialist for proper prescriptions and dosage regulation. The removal of the cage needs opening up the back again. It cannot be removed without a surgical intervention. It is best to get a MRI scan done to find out the problem and get it treated accordingly. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.