Ask a Dentist   »  

Is it possible to loose teeth after using braces?

hi my name is XXXXXXX and i just came back from an appt with my periodontist and he just told me i have bone loss and i may loose two of my bottom teeth. I am very upset because I saw him last summer in july to get the okay for the braces and now he is telling me that i may loose two of my teeth, they are very loose. What i dont understand is how this could happen when he gave the okay to move forward with the braces...
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 54 minutes later

Regarding application of braces,the periodontium and surrounding alveolar bone should be healthy,intact since orthodontic tooth movement causes heavy forces resulting in -

Devitalisation of teeth.

Resorption of roots.

Your teeth are affected with periodontitis as per the details produced.

Application of heavy forces during orthodontic tooth movement will result in occlusion of blood vessels and the ligament is deprived of its nutritional supply leading to regressive changes called hyalinisation.

When the force is applied,there is stretching of periodontal fibres on the tension side with raised vascularity.

The raised vascularity causes mobilisation of fibroblasts and osteoblasts into the area which form osteoid.

Application of Orthodontic appliances is contra-indicated in periodontally compromised teeth.

As per the description,since your two bottom teeth are already mobile,Application of braces can result in loss of teeth.

Your dentist may not be noticed the shaking teeth in JULY ,OR the shaking has progressed and visible now.

Meanwhile,I would suggest you to get scaling done by your dentist.

The shaking teeth has to be retained by splinting if possible.

Maintain good oral hygiene.

Rinse your mouth after every meals.

Get your blood-sugar level checked to rule out chance of diabetes mellitus.

Hope this suffices,

Please feel free to ask further concerns.

Follow-up: Is it possible to loose teeth after using braces? 2 hours later
Thank you for the quick response. The periodontist says that the bone loss is bad and therefore even with scaling i may loose both teeth...he said probability of loosing both is 80 %. You suggested that the shaking teeth has to be retained by splinting if possible. What exactly does that entail? Do you think I should get another opinion from another periodontist? I don't want to loose my teeth but I believe it may be too late?? What should i do at this point...
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 8 minutes later

Thanks for your feedback.

Splinting is a procedure through which mobile teeth are stabilized using inter dental stainless arch wiring.

Teeth with upto 70% mobility can be saved through this.

Depending on the bone loss associated with the teeth, bone grafting also can be done to save the teeth.

Please do go for a second opinion from any other Periodontist.

Follow-up: Is it possible to loose teeth after using braces? 24 minutes later
Thank u so much. One more question...the periodontist i saw today wants to see me again tomorrow to do the scaling but I think I should get a second opinion before I do anything else to my teeth at this you agree? Thanks again for your advice....i really appreciate it and i hope my teeth can be saved at this point.
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 3 minutes later

It is better to get a second opinion before starting scaling.

Hope everything goes well.