Is it possible to increase interest in sex ?

Is it possible to be a person who just doesn't care for sex? I'm a 32 year old female and have been with my partner for just over 15 years. I basically never have the urge for sex. I feel I could honestly live my life without doing it again and the only reason I do is because I feel bad for my partner. It's been 3 months now and I will admit this is the longest we have gone since we met. What could the reasons be as to why I have no drive at all? I have never been a highly sexual person, not even at the start of our relationship, it was probably a once a week thing and as the years have gone on my drive has basically gone all together. I honestly feel like I hate the thought of sex and because of that I just don't want to do it if I don't like it. is the anyway I can get a sexual drive? or is this just me?

Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 38 minutes later

Having a very low sex drive and libido at your age is not expected but it is a common occurrence in case of women. It can be due to the psychological make up of a female or may have some organic causes behind it like-
1. Anaemia- common in women because of iron loss during periods.
2. Alcoholism.
3. Drug abuse.
4. Major diseases such as diabetes.
5. Post-baby 'coolness'- post partum loss of libido.
6. Prescribed drugs, particularly anti depressants and tranquillisers.
7. Hyperprolactinaemia - a rare disorder in which the pituitary gland is overactive.
8. Other hormone abnormalities- decreased LH and androgenic hormones in the body.

You need to rule out all the organic causes behind the loss of libido with the help of your gynecologist. If no organic causes are found then psychological causes like -depression, stress and overwork, anxiety, hang-ups from childhood, past sexual abuse or rape, latent lesbianism, serious relationship problems with your partner, difficult living conditions, eg: sharing a home with parents or parents-in-law, etc.

A psychotherapist can help you in this regard.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.