Is it possible to increase height after the age of 27 years?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 27 years old and my height is 5'3 " I would like to know if there is a way out to increase my height by 4 inches atleast
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Increase in height- possible only through surgical Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Height of an individual is determined by Genetics, Nutritional factors and Hormonal factors (most important the Growth Hormone secreted by pituitary gland in brain) An individual stops growing in height after the fusion of the Epiphyses (growth plates) of the long bones, which occurs by the age of 19-22 yrs in males. you are already 27 years old, there is a less chance of achieving your dream height naturally. Increase in height is possible only through surgical methods; yes you can increase by 4 inch. Surgical correction requires time and it may take around 6 months to 9 months to complete whole process. It may involve 2 to 3 surgical steps. You can also consult at my hospital for further details. One more thing, kindly avoid getting influenced by any advertisement or over the counter medication which claim to boost your growth hormone & increase height. It may be harmful. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.