Is it possible to have hypoxic brain injuries due to syncopal episodes?

Neurologist, Surgical
Is it possible to have hypoxic brain injuries due to syncopal episodes (presumed to be secondary to orthostatic hypotension and/or PSVT) producing muscle weakness? Is so would there be any changes on a MRI scan?
Posted Thu, 12 Sep 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 4 days later
Brief Answer:
Syncopal attacks would not cause muscle weakness

Detailed Answer:

Normally syncopal attacks are transient & do not cause hypoxic injury to brain ,at least not enough to cause muscle weakness. Syncopal episodes may cause hypoxic brain injury only if recurrent or associated with some seizure episode / persistent hypotension during attacks.

MRI brain is usually normal in hypoxia; but few patients show grey white matter disturbances.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

dr XXXXXXX k XXXXXXX XXXXXXX consultant neurosurgeon