Is it possible to have gas build up in the body?

is it possible for gas to "build up" in the body ? I ate large amount of dry roasted peanuts for 4-5 days and then had loose floaty and foul smelling stool , I looked online and saw that sudden high intake of peanuts can cause gas and I almost never ate peanuts before so I thought that's it. But it has been 6 days since I stopped eating the peanuts and I still have gas? I do not have loose or foul smelling stool anymore, I am now getting normal solid stool except it still sometimes floating and I still have more flatulence than usual. Is it normal for the gas to stay in the body for several days after stopping the offending food? also is there anything I can do to get rid of it? I tried anti-gas medicine once a long time ago and it gave me stomach there anything else like food/drink that can help? thanks
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 34 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

You probably are recovering from bowel infection.
Due to the infection the inner lining of the intestine gets damaged leading to loose stools, malabsorption etc.

Since you are recovering now, all you need to do is take probiotic supplements.
Simethicone or Beano would provide relief from gas.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini