Is it possible to have fibroids and cysts at the same time?

I had a ultrasound and they discovered fibroids and today I had a scan and discovered right cyst that is 3.4. My left side is hurting and it hurts only when I get up. When I am laying in bed, I don't feel pain but a little discomfort. Can I have fibroids and cysts and what is the next step?
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: If ther cause discomfort, consider surgery! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about these findings and the pains you have been experiencing. It is possible to have fibroids and cysts at the same time. However, the results should be closely interpreted. By this I mean that they should look and say whether these findings are on the same side or different sides. If they are clearly on different sides and both are reported on the same exam, then it is most likely to be the case. If the ultrasound reported only a fibroids and the CT scan reported only cysts, then something is not right. They may be mislabeling the same mass as fibroid on ultrasound and as a cyst on ct scan. If you can upload the results, I will look at them and tell you if they are consistent or not. The treatment of cyst depends on a number of factors. If it is not causing any problems and judged not to be cancer, then it is better left alone. It is more likely to by cancer in a menopausal woman then in a woman who is still menstruating. Your OBGYN would need to assess closely to make the decision whether to remove surgically or not. At least a third of women in their reproductive years have fibroids. Unless it is symptomatic((pains, bleeding, constipation, etc), it is better left alone. This is to say there is so much more information that needs to be factored in before making a conclusion as to whether you need surgery for these conditions or not. If they should need treatment, the single and guaranteed approach is surgery. I hope this addresses your query fully. feel free to ask for clarifications or more information if needed. If you can upload the test results(CT scan and sonogram), I will provide more insights to the diagnosis and whether there is any mixed up. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.