Is it possible to have a delayed reaction to sun exposure? Child showing signs of sunstroke.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Is it possible to have a delayed reaction to sun exposure? My son is showing signs of sunstroke three days after intense exposure. Three days ago he was surfing in Costa Rica for 4 hrs midday. No reaction. But tonight after a speed training practice here in Maryland, he woke up with fever and all the other symptoms of sunstroke. Could the intense heating tonight surface a delay of sunstroke?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later

Sunstroke is less likely to show symptoms three days after the exposure to heat. The symptoms of sunstroke are usually caused by loss of excessive fluid from the body which gets compensated in next 2-4 days.

The symptoms your son has are more likely due to exhaustion or may be an infection.

Right now I suggest you to start giving him plenty of fluids and energy drinks with electrolytes to combat the water loss from the body. You can also give him acetaminophen(Tylenol) one tablet, three times a day for fever.

You son should be fine in 2-3 days time with proper care and fluid replenishment. If they persist then do consult your physician for proper evaluation and treatment.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.