Is it possible to get gastroparesis from stomach flu? Have anxiety-related health issues.

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
I am terrified of the stomach flu. I have anxiety related to health issues. Is it possible to get gastroparesis from the stomach flu?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 14 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting your query

First and foremost advise-never think of high end complications-leave it to your doctor

Are you suffering from Stomach Flu ?

If yes take care you do not get dehydrated - do not take any medicines without supervision of a medical consultant

If No - reassure yourself and avoid taking any contaminated fluids or foods

Gastroparesis is a condition where the nerve signals to the stomach are disrupted and is common in diabetic patients, usually does not occur with stomach flu

Another word of reassurance-there are good medicines available to control gastroparesis

Just relieve your anxiety and everything should be alright

Hope all clear,if you need further advise revert back or else do accept my reply

Get Well Soon

Follow-up: Is it possible to get gastroparesis from stomach flu? Have anxiety-related health issues. 18 hours later
What is the probability? I have researched online and have read about people who just develop gastroparesis out of nowhere. This freaks me out so much because it could happen to me. Some of these people are suffering horribly and have had to quit jobs and be on feeding tubes. This gives me so much anxiety.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 23 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for posting your followup query

I find no reason to worry?
All data available online is not authentic
Consult your doctor and reassure yourself
Gastroparesis does not make life miserable in all patients
As in all diseases there are exceptional complicated cases
So take a positive approach towards your life and relax

Hope all clear, In case of further query revert back
Get well soon