Is it possible to develop macroglosssia from a vitamin d deficiency?

Is it possible to develop macroglossia from a vitamin d deficiency, either as a direct consequence or secondary to hay fever?
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Vitamins
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 33 minutes later
Most commonly enlargement of tongue (Macroglosssia) is seen in Hypothyroidism, and Overproduction of growth hormone in adult (Acromegaly).
Vitamin D deficiency is not known cause of macroglosssia, rarely if severe deficiency of other vitamins is there then it is possible.
Hay fever if there is allergy then swelling of tongue called angioedema may occur and if some gland (Tonsil) or growth pushes tongue from back it may cause Pseudo macroglosssia.
Please let me know the reports of Thyroid function and biopsy.
It is good that your MRI and B12 level is normal.
Hope this is useful to you, if you have any further query, please do write back, I will be happy to answer.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Follow-up: Is it possible to develop macroglosssia from a vitamin d deficiency? 22 minutes later
Thyroid functions and biopsy were normal. The tongue continues to enlarge but very slowly. There are no growths or enlarged tonsils, but I have had chronic year round hay fever for about the same time period as the tongue growth and worsening bilateral tingling in the hands and feet at night.
The only medication I am on is citalopram, which was started after all the other symptoms started, for stress, but has not altered the pattern or progress of the macroglossia.
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

Thanks for your input; the following are my comments:

1. It is great to know that your biopsy and thyroid function were normal.

2. If the hay fever symptoms are mild, it needs no treatment. The tongue swelling may not be related.

3. Citalopram is mood elevator and hope this works and improve your symptoms to some degree.
This drug also causes dryness of mouth; you haven't mentioned any such complaints. You can discuss with your physician if you have dryness.

4. As you mention that you feel a gradual and very slow increase in size, I do not think that this is related to an organic medical pathology and that you need to be concerned Are you looking at it very closely?

5. Bilateral tingling hands and feet could be a kind of neuropathy. Nutritional deficiency, metabolic conditions.vascular and other systemic causes are associated with neuropathy. The treatment depends on it's cause treatment depends on it's cause. Discuss with your treating doctor.

Hope this information is helpful. If you have any question or anything to share, please feel free to do so.

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M. D.