Is it possible to develop Reye's syndrome with Kaopectate
User rating for this question
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: its a possibility to develop RS with Kaopectate Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, This condition is generally seen mainly in patients that have used Aspirin. The use of Aspirin , especially in health condition caused by viruses usually leads to this condition. It is therefore imperative to have a string clinical suspicion or confirmation that the health condition of the patient was caused by a virus, and also to confirm that amongst the drugs given, Aspirin was amongst them. It must however be noted that one could experience Reye's syndrome, even without the use of Aspirin. Aspirin use in a viral syndrome simply strengthens the possibility of developing the condition. Clinical findings generally encountered with this condition must be carefully mastered and reported to the treating physician in case they arise. Nausea, vomiting, headache, excitability, delirium, combativeness, and coma are commonly seen. Involvement and inflammation of the liver is very common. If suspected, liver function tests (transaminases) should be measured to confirm diagnosis and take early and appropriate sanctions. Kaopectate contains some salicilate component in it, similar to what is seen in Aspirin. In case the child had a viral infection and took this drug, and is developing any suspicious signs and symptoms as mentioned, it is very possible that Reye syndrome could develop. I would suggest a proper and urgent review by your primary care doctor or the emergency physician for evaluation and action. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Please, feel free asking follow up questions in case you have any specific questions. Kind regards as I wish him the best of health. Dr Bain
People also viewed
- Is dry mouth a side effect of invokana?
- Is dizziness a side effect of invokana?
- Can menstrogen abort 4weeks pregnancy
- Is dizziness a side effect of donnatal?
- Is it possible to develop reyes syndrome with kaopectate
- 4yr old complaining of chest pain or diaphram
- Side effects of avil 50 mg tablets if planning for baby
- Semen analysis morphology 5 6 sperms / hpf
- Side effect of kaopectate
- Usage of kaopectate
- Does kaopectate contain aspirin
- Will kaopectate treat diarrhea?
- Is 6mm normal thickness of endometrium 50 year old
- Is restlessness a side effect of luvox?
- Is belching a side effect of ibuprofen?