Is it possible to destroy blood clot before entering blood stream?

DVT and blood cloths, any way the blood cloth can be destroyed before entering the blood stream?
Posted Mon, 29 Oct 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later
Yes, it is possible to break up , rather prevent clots in the first place. XXXXXXX venous thrombosis is a condition wherein the blood clots in the XXXXXXX veins of the leg. This occurs due to various reasons. Since these clots travel to the lungs, and can cause serious damage, its important we prevent them. Clots can be prevented by using drugs called anti-coagulants. Several options like warfarin, rivaroxaban, dabigatran are now available for this purpose.
In some cases, we also put in something called an inferior vena caval filter which we place in the largest vein in the body which helps us filter out the larger clots.
The right drug and treatment needs to be decided by your cardiologist. It is important to realize that these drugs are not without side effects. They can cause serious bleeding, which can be fatal as well.
that is why the decision to start treatment should be a well considered one.
I hope that I have addressed your concerns. Let me know if I can answer any additional questions.