Is it possible to control BP without medication?

I have been identified High BP since Dec2010. My present age is 43 yrs. I have not taken any medication from any doctor so far

I want to control my BP without medication. Is it possible???
evening time is always 130/90 or sometimes 140/90. During day time it is 150/100.

After seeing internet, I tried foods without taking salt, avoid fatty milks and fatty foods, and adding 2 cloves of garlic everyday. After a month , it got reduced to 115/75. But I could not continue the practice and again BP is high as said above.
My sugar, cholestrol, and everything is normal, but BP only is high. My wieght is 100 kgs and my hieght is 172 cm

Kindly advise how to proceed so that my BP is controlled without medication

Posted Tue, 27 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later
Thanks for sharing your concern here,
There are two medical issues which needs to be taken care of first one is Hypertension other is an increased weight.
Life style modifications are advised initially for 4 to 6 months if Blood pressure is controlled you can continue but if BP is higher than acceptable range, drug therapy should be started along with these life style modifications.
These non - pharmacological ways reduce BP up to certain extent.
Your blood pressure is maximum is 150/100 mm of Hg, If BP persist to this level it is appropriate to start antihypertensive drug.
Your height is 172 cm so ideal weight would be around 75 to 78 kg approximately
By making changes in diet you could bring BP to normal range, these changes in diet and life style to continue lifelong.
1.Stop smoking/tobacco chewing in case you use
2.Reduce weight
3.Limit alcohol intake (<30 ml/d of ethanol), only if you do already take alcohol. If you do not take it is even better.
4.Limit sodium intake (<2.3 g/d) , do not use table salt, use less salt in cooking and avoiding processed foods. Start using low sodium salt for your food.
5.Maintain adequate intake of potassium, calcium and magnesium ,by fresh fruits and vegetables
6.Reduce intake of saturated fat and cholesterol as you need to reduce weight also.
7.Exercise aerobically on a regular basis. Also do meditation and shavasana on a regular basis
Hope this information helps you. If you have any further query, I will be available to answer that.
Take care,