Is it possible to contract HIV from genital contact?

Mar 2016

hi can you tell me if it is possible to contract hiv from genital contact in a massage parlor, there was no penetrative sex
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S Patra 39 minutes later

There is no chance of exposure to HIV through just genital contact during massage as you were not involved in sexual intercourse. Also I can assume that you have no cuts on body parts.

Another thing, the HIV status of body massager is unknown. She may be HIV positive or negative. Therefore, it is advisable to do a blood test for HIV 1 & 2 after 3 months (as early test is insignificant) to clear doubt from your mind and keep in safe side.

You also know the route of HIV transmission to take safe precaution in the future. These are as follows:

1) Sexual intercourse (Vaginal/anal) with infected person
2) Sharing needles/syringe for drugs or anything from infected one
3) Mother to child transmission during pregnancy or childbirth.
4) Transmission through donated blood/clotting factors.
5) Transmission through saliva/urine/tear drop in low percentage.

There is no chance of HIV transmission in case of shaking hands, casual kissing, sharing foods/utensil/toilets with HIV positive one.

Please do consult with your doctor after getting test report and take suggestive measures accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you better health in future.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Is it possible to contract HIV from genital contact? 29 minutes later
thanks dr. soumen

there was no intercourse at all, and i have no cuts or any damage on my penis. the massager did rub her genitals on the head of my penis and i did get vaginal fluid on my penis during the act. please can you tell me, is infection possible this way if her vaginal fluids were in contact with my penis especially my urethra. also does her having an orgasm while rubbing on me increase the risk? at no point did i enter her vagina, there was only contact with the outer areas.
also, have there been any recorded cases of infection this way?

thank you again
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for giving concrete information about your condition.

Yes, you can get HIV infection from vaginal secretion/ fluid (either by orgasm or any other means) when your penis touches her vaginal lip even without penetration. Though, it is seen in low percentage and completely depends on her HIV status. If she was HIV positive, then there is quite chance of transmission of this infection.

You can eliminate this infection by doing a blood test for HIV 1 & 2. If you get negative result initially, you must repeat the test after 3 months for confirmation and ruling out completely.

Transmission rate of infection in this way is very low but you have to stay in safe place by eliminating HIV infection through above test.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & stay healthy.

Dr Soumen