Is it possible to be healthy with an elevated heart rate?

Hello, I am a 46 year old woman. 5'7" and 145 lbs. good health, small boned, and active. I have become more interested in monitoring my health and have noticed that I have a particularly fast heart rate. My resting heart rate is about 85. Also, when I work out on a treadmill, I feel that my heart rate is about 170 without causing me discomfort. However, everything I read indicates that my heart rate is unhealthy. I don't know if I should worry. Is it possible to be healthy with an elevated heart rate or should I worry? I don't smoke. Thank you. XXXX
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: Resting/working heart rates of 85/170 are normal.. Detailed Answer: Hi dear XXXXXXX Thank for sharing your concern with XXXXXXX First of all, a normal range of adult heart rate is 60 to 100/min. Your resting heart rate is 85, which is perfectly normal and I do not see anything to be worried about. It is normal for the heart rate to get higher when you work, especially when working out on a treadmill (up to 170/min). Your body muscles need more energy and blood when working. So, heart is increasing its work resulting in high heart rates, which is also perfectly normal. I am glad to come to know that you are not smoking and are an active woman as they will keep you far distant from problems. Enjoy life with such energy as now! Dr.Benard If you have further queries, do not hesitate to contact me back!
Follow-up: Is it possible to be healthy with an elevated heart rate? 26 minutes later
thank you
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: You're most welcomed! Detailed Answer: Hi my dear, You are most welcome! Dr.Benard