Is it possible to abort a child with medication at 16 weeks?

Mar 2013
hello dr, i have pregnancy of 16 weeks. i have already two kids one is 15 yrs and another one is 11 yrs. CAN I REMOVE THE FETAL THROUGH MEDICINE NOW??? if yes kindly send me prescription. i examined through ultrasound scaning, details as below :
fetal estimated weight is 112gms. biparietal diameter 28.7mm, femoral length 15.2mm, abdominal circumference 92.9mm, fetal cardiac activity and body movements are present. fetal spine is normal. placenta is funal and anterior. no clots seen in placenta, amniotic fluid appears normal. no evidence of any gross congenital anomaly is seen at present examination. XXXXXXX os is closed.
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 14 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

Medical abortion only by pills is undertaken only upto 49 days, and maximum upto 63 days.
It certainly cannot be done at 16 weeks of pregnancy, and never by an online prescription.

An MTP or abortion undertaken for a 10 or 11 weeks old foetus is safe, 12 weeks, which is equal to two and half calendar months, is not a recommended period because now the foetus is neither too small nor too big. After 16 weeks, the MTP needs to be executed like a mini-labour by administering injections and vaginal medications that can cause expulsion of the foetus. At this stage, if the injection does not seem to work, the abdomen may need to be opened up and the MTP executed like a caesarean section.

Also, at 16 weeks, there are increased risks of severe bleeding, infection, incomplete abortion which might require surgery ( like Caesarean section ).

Also you are anemic, and blood might be needed to be kept ready.

FOr a second trimester abortion, you require hospitalization , as the baby will be expelled just like the process of a normal labour.

Please consider this decision twice, as an abortion at 16 weeks is a risky and complicated affair. You could plan a third child and then go for tubal ligation alongwith delivery.

In case you still decide to go ahead with the abortion, consult your obstetrician, go through appropriate blood tests, and undergo hospitalization and induction of abortion just like induction of labour ( artificial pains ) with medicines.

I could not access your attached ultrasound report by the way. If possible, please attach it again using the feature on the right side of the page.

Take care XXXXXXX and please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: Is it possible to abort a child with medication at 16 weeks? 23 minutes later
thank you very much for your advise. i am not in a position to admit in hospital for a day or two. not even in a position to plan for third child. because my mother in law totally bed ridden every thing we have to at bed for her. no one with me here to take care of her. that is the reason i requested you that kindly advise me any medicine to remove 16 weeks fetus.

hope you can understand my situation. and thanks in advance for your kind co-operation.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
I repeat that there is no " medicine " to abort a 16 weeks fetus.
It requires proper induction of labour pains and if they fail, you might require surgery.
This cannot be done at home, and it is illegal to prescribe the medications/injections for you to use at home.
Even in a hospital, you will need to be examined and verified by two doctors to carry out an abortion greater than 12 weeks.
I hope you can understand the seriousness of your problem, and take appropriate measures, which are for your health and well being.
Do not play with your life by fishing around for such quack medications, do not take them from a chemist, and please consult a gynecologist and follow medical advice.

Hope you can understand.
Please take care.