Is it possible that at young and early age the bones get fused? And if so do the vertebral column play any role to increase height?

Question
My 15 years and 11months old son is told by the Endocrinologist that he has acheived his final height which is 5'4" after seeing him and x-Ray reports of the long bones.Is it possible that at this young n early age the bones get fused? And if so do the vertebral column play any role to increase height? Can anything make difference of some centimeters in his height?
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer: A few more cm or even inches can be attained Detailed Answer: Hello sir/ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. Boys have a late growth spurt and continue to grow till the age of 22-24. Although most of the growth does take place during the teenage years, a few extra inches do add on to the height till they reach adulthood. I would say that with involving in stretching activities and exercise (eg. swimming, tennis, basketball, pull-ups, etc) a few extra inches can be added, but this is not always the case. In response to your main query, it is possible that some males achieve majority of their growth at such an early age, but that does not necessarily mean they cannot grow another few inches (although not much). Yes the spine does play a vital role, so do the muscles and other structures in the skeletal system that can contribute to a few more inches. Encourage your son to indulge in the above listed sports and do not forget the major contributing factor: a well balanced diet. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.

Follow-up: Is it possible that at young and early age the bones get fused? And if so do the vertebral column play any role to increase height? 9 hours later
Dear Dr.Shoaib XXXXXXX Thanx for your prompt reply, but my worry is that my son is told that his bones are ossified and he is fully grown at this early age.Now can he add more cms or an inch to his height .is it really possible because practically thinking after bones fusion we can not grow at all. Dear Dr pl give realistic reply as I don't want to play with my son's emotions. Thanks & Regards

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Slight growth may still be possible sir Detailed Answer: Hello once again sir. I would not lie to you or give you any false information. Bone ossification, fusion and complete growth of all joints does indicate the end of growth. But in a given population, there are quite a few individuals who can still grow by a few more centimeters and may be even an inch. As informed to you in my previous reply, not all individuals can achieve this, but some of them certainly do. Encourage him to indulge in the activities I have informed you about in my previous response, and I am sure he may just grow. It is not a sure shot solution, but trust me, if an individual os well nourished and involves in as many stretching activities as possible, further growth by a small amount is still possible. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.

Follow-up: Is it possible that at young and early age the bones get fused? And if so do the vertebral column play any role to increase height? 1 hour later
Thanx again . He will definitely follow all your instructions regarding exercise and diet. Along with this will you suggest any medication that will boost his growth or will help in doing the hard work? Thanx

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Could add multivitamin, 1 pill per day Detailed Answer: Hello once again. I hope and pray he succeeds. According to me no medications are required. Try to find a pull up rod which you can easily find and ask him to hang fron it for at least 15-30 minutes per day. As mentioned earlier sir/ma'am, a well balanced diet containing a lot of proteins, calcium, etc; is required. So make sure he consumes a lit of fruits, vegetables, milk and other dairy products. You could add a multivitamin pill to his daily regimen, you can find them in any medical store. Hope you have found my responses helpful sir/ma'am. Please feel free to write to me about any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.