Is it possible for my partner to become pregnant if I had a vasectomy?

Question
Hi i was just wondering if it's possible for my fiance to become pregnant if i had a vasectomy 15 years ago?
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I am sure that when you underwent the procedure you must have been informed about vasectomy not being a 100%. This is why your doctor must have called you in for tests after the procedure and routinely, to confirm whether or not the sperm is present.

If you did go in for regular testing and your sperm check has reported 'no sperm', then there is no chance your fiance can become pregnant.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Is it possible for my partner to become pregnant if I had a vasectomy? 17 hours later
I only went for one follow up after the procedure. No sperm present. I was never told to come back for any other visits after that.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hello sir.

If you have not made any follow-up visits, I suggest you make one, just to re-confirm the absence of sperm.

This can be done once in 3-6 months sir. Once the semen analysis confirms the absence of sperm, there would be absolutely nothing to worry about, and no chance for your fiance to get pregnant.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers if you are satisfied.

Best wishes.