Is it possible for feeling hormonal symptoms, both physically and emotionally inspite of having hysterectomy?

I am 2 weeks out from a total Laproproscopic hysterectomy, with removal of ovaries. I am 56 and have been menopausal for 3 years. Is it possible for someone of my age to be feeling hormonal symptoms, both physically and emotionally? Also, I still feel deeply fatigued and achy in my abdomen. Is this to be expected? Thanks, XXXX
Posted Wed, 12 Mar 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Menopause Detailed Answer: Menopausal symptoms typically occur from the time of menopause and in many women these are not severe and gradually disappear by 5 years. However, they are more severe and persistent in some, so much so that treatment becomes necessary. I have noted that your periods stopped 3 years ago, and you have surgery 2 weeks ago. In this context, I wish to let you know that menopausal symptoms can (re)occur at any time later in life too. It is unpredictable in whom they will occur. Further there is no test to know how long they will last. The best approach is to see a Gynecologist and discuss if they merit treatment, particularly if they are incapacitating. Regarding abdominal pain, it is best to check with the surgeon as to whether or not this is to be expected as a normal part of recovery. In general, when I see a woman complaining of fatigue, I order a simple thyroid blood test called TSH to evaluate for hypothyroidism.