Is it possible for an unborn baby measuring 149mm head circumference to have a major growth spurt?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hi, is it possible for an unborn baby at 20 weeks gestation who is measuring 149mm head circumference to have a major growth spurt. ?
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 26 minutes later
Whether your child will show a growth spurt or not depends on what is the current size of the fetus ( we take into account a variety of paremeters) and what is the cause for this.
We have to assess the fetus globally ( which means on all parameters).
I would need a little more in formation to be able to help you better:
a.     What are the percentile of growth of the baby with regard to biparietal diameter(BPD), head circumference, femoral length, abdominal circumferenc etc?
b.     Are you hypertensive ( have high blood pressure) or do you have any medical illness?
c.     Can you upload the complete scan report?
If all are below 10th centile then it is called symmetric growth retardation. If only head circumference is lower than 10th centile, it is called microcephaly. By 20 weeks they must have done an anomaly scan in your place. The growth spurt will depend on what is the type as I mentioned above ad what is the cause for this.
I am sure your doctors must have given you some idea.
All the best
Follow-up: Is it possible for an unborn baby measuring 149mm head circumference to have a major growth spurt? 15 minutes later
Hi at 18.5 weeks the head circumference was 148mm and bpd at 39mm. At 20 wks the hc was 149. I have no meducal issuea and no abnormalities in my or husband family. Everything else measures well. It is only the head that measures small so what im thinking is could the head spurt a little later. Baby movements and heart beats are strong. Also i take no drugs or alcohol nor do i smoke.
At 18.5 wks. Bpd 39mm, hc148mm, ac 136mm, fl 30mm, hl 26mm. At 20 wks they only measured the hc at 149mm. So what is the reason it didnt grow much
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Thanks of the details.
As your baby has isolated lag in head growth and other parameters are normal, you may have to undergo some tests to find out the cause of this problem before the possibility of growth spurt can be predicted. After making sure with one or two more serial ultrasound examinations, the following have to be done.
Some blood tests to find out about intra uterine infections( a group of viral infections) have to be done.
Also some metabolic tests have to be done.
I am sure your perinatal specialist and genetics team will work on this.
Till then one cannot definitely say whether growth spurt will occur.
Good luck.
God bless