Is it possible for a physician to be unable to rupture the membrane?

Posted Fri, 7 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
At full term pregnancy, when the labor pains are induced with medicines, the membranes are artificially ruptured to enhance the labor pains. If the cervix is not even one finger dilated after the pitocin infusion, then it is difficult to rupture the membranes.
Once you get stronger contractions, the cervix will loosen and the membranes will be ruptured in the next pelvic examination.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.