Is it possible for a person to contract the strains of HPV through oral sex?

I have a question for educational purposes. I do not have these symptoms and am only asking for my own knowledge.

Is it possible for a person to contract the strains of HPV that produce genital warts by receiving oral sex ONLY? In other words, is it possible for the wart-producing strain to live in the giver's mouth and transmit to the receiver's genitals?

And if so, how likely could this be to happen? Common? Rare? Greater than X percent chance?

Thank you for always being a wonderful source of healthcare information.
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Oral sex always predisposes one to infectious diseases and STD’s like HIV, herpes, genital warts, Chlamydia, syphilis, gonorrhea, molluscum, trichomoniasis and other infections like fungal infections and scabies infection.

The risk to the healthy partner for these STD’s who receives cunnilingus is 100% if the partner is carrying an active infection or even a latent infection.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Is it possible for a person to contract the strains of HPV through oral sex? 3 days later
Thank you for your information doctor.

I was curious about this not because I have symptoms of this particular condition at all, but because I have a couple of papules/fordyce spots on my foreskin and you can never be too safe.

My sexual history is VERY limited. It is only limited to oral from women I have been serious with that are also of a very safe mindset. I have never had intercourse and am safely waiting for marriage.

I have had these looked at by my urologist in person, who says they are papules and I have had them looked at numerous times by a dermatologist on this site who is certain they are sebaceous prominence. There are 2 bumps but in the photo the flash washed the other one out. They are tiny, less than 1mm in diameter. They are white-ish in color and are very smooth/shiny like the foreskin. No other symptoms are present. They appeared around the time I had a yeast infection from Bactim usage. But, this was also around the time I was seeing someone new, so I worry. I am not used to seeing any bumps on my foreskin.

Also note that I have always had unusually bumpy shaft skin my whole life with much sebaceous prominence. No previous partners have had warts and these bumps do NOT change color when vinegar is applied. I am certain after having these looked at by a urologist in person I am worrying for nothing. And the dermatologist on this site further solidifies this.

But, I am curious to hear your thoughts as it never hurts to have another opinion and I have enjoyed previous interactions with you on this site. Thank you and blessings.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
I have seen the pictures attached with this query.
The spots that you have described are likely to be due to blocked glands or Fordyce's spots. These are not likely to be associated with any STD.
These spots are mostly due to an ectopic sebaceous gland: normally, sebaceous glands are only found in association with a hair follicle. They are not known to be associated with any disease or illness and are of cosmetic concern only. They aren't infectious and are a natural occurrence on the body.
Vaporising laser treatments such as CO2 laser or electro desiccation have been used with some success in diminishing the appearance of this condition if they are of cosmetic concern. However, I consider this a normal physiological phenomenon and advise against treatment. Laser treatment can often leave significant scarring.

I suggest you not to worry about this condition. If you are still concerned about cosmetic appearance I advise you to consult a dermatologist and show your spots. Direct examination and seeing the spots by the doctor will help in accurate diagnosis.