Is it okay to have red wine and lisinopril ?

Hi, I take 10 mg of lisinopril. I do not take red wine and lisinopril together. If I take red wine I will gap for about 5 to 6 hours before I take lisinopril. Will that be ok, OR should I completely stop red wine?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 10 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Alcohol can definitely raise the blood pressure but compared to others red wine is somewhat better.It is fine if you are keeping a gap of few hours but do keep a track of the Blood Pressure readings as alcohol can cause sudden changes in the blood pressure.

There's still no clear evidence that red wine is better than other forms of alcohol when it comes to possible heart-healthy benefits.

Antioxidants in red wine called polyphenols may help protect the lining of blood vessels in your heart. A polyphenol called resveratrol is one substance in red wine that's gotten attention.

If after taking wine the Blood Pressure increases or there are any other symptoms then it is advisable to stop.

Kindly monitor your readings regularly for few days and observe for any changes.If BP is continuously increased consider visiting a Physician for evaluation.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any