Is it okay to drink water before CT scan?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2015
Jun 2015

Question
I have to have a ct scan at 10 this morning..will it hurt if I drink some water this morning..im so thrusty
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Drinking small sips of water to quench your thirst does not have any harmful effect.
In fact, drinking of plain water is advised before a CT scan to maintain adequate hydration.
Because sometimes CT scans involve injection of a contrast agent, or "dye" to visualize certain structures in the body, to make a better diagnosis.
These contrast agents are filtered by kidneys, and passed out in the urine.
Drinking of small sips of water maintains hydration & reduce any risk of damaging the kidneys.

So, you can have small sips of water to quench your thirst.
But avoid caffeinated drinks & please do not eat solid foods for four hours prior to your CT scan.

Wishing you a good health.
Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.