Is it okay for me to lie down with ice after a head injury?

Question
I fell down the last 4 steps of my staircase onto a carpeted area. I have a good (was bleeding) cut on my nose and a bump on my head. My neck is what really hurts. I dont think I have a concussion and would like to lie down with some ice on my nose. Is this OK
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

From your description it seems that you have suffered a minor head injury. An impact on one side of head has caused a small hematoma which is there on your head as a bump.

A concussion may result in a bad headache, altered levels of alertness, or unconsciousness (only in severe cases). It temporarily interferes with the way your brain works, and it can affect memory, judgment, reflexes, speech, balance, coordination, and sleep patterns.

If you can consult a physician easily then it is best to get yourself examined for any neurological deficits. You can also monitor yourself for any deterioration in the symptoms like unconsciousness, severe headache, blurred vision, bleeding from eyes, nose or ears, vomiting, etc in which case you need to rush to ER immediately. If any of the above mentioned symptoms appear then you might need to attend an ER and investigations like MRI head are entailed for proper diagnosis

Meanwhile you can do a cold compress by wrapping ice cubes in a towel in the area of injury and on the head bump and take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for relief.
.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Regards.