Is it ok to take Lorazepam thrice instead of twice a day?

Hello, I am taking 0.5mg of Lorazepam twice daily and I was wondering if I could take it 3 times a day because it was less effective than when I took Lorazepam 1mg that was much more effective in treating my anxiety/panic attacks
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later
Lorazepam is used for short term treatment of anxiety. The half life of lorazepam is 9-16 hours so it is not given in a thrice daily dosing. The dosage schedule of any drug is every average half life of the drug otherwise drug accumulation in body will take place.
If a 0.5 mg dose is not producing an adequate anti anxiety effect then it is time to increase the dosage and not the frequency of drug administration. You need to inform your treating physician about the submaximal response that you are getting so that he can increase the doses accordingly.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: Is it ok to take Lorazepam thrice instead of twice a day? 41 minutes later
Hello again, With my anxiety it feels like im not breathing properly or I can feel my hart racing or sometimes it feels like my hart is not beating, is this normal? I keep worrying about my hart beat and keep checking my pulse and keep listening to my hart beat, is there a way I could not worry about this/
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

The symptoms you are feeling are suggestive of Anxiety disorder. There are other possibilities also like adjustment disorder, agoraphobic disorder, psychiatrist regarding the exact diagnosis of your problem and also regarding the dosage of Lorazepam and also discuss regarding the behavioral therapy for anxiety disorder.

Correct diagnosis and treatment will help you better.

Today’s research indicates that a move toward individualizing the dosing of prescription agents is warranted and it can happen only after physical consultation / Your doctor will know about these drugs.

Regarding you heart racing, not beating at times, checking your pulse often, it is best to undergo a complete cardiac check up to rule any heart problem from a cardiologist. This will clear your doubts also and will rest your mind.

Wishing you an early recovery.